Here’s an international holiday you probably haven’t heard of! International Left Handers Day. This holiday takes place every year on August 13 to showcase the speciality and differences of left handers all over the world.
It was created to raise awareness of the advantages and disadvantages of being left-handed in a predominantly right-handed world. This international holiday is also used to shed light on the troubles that left-handed people face—still in many countries today.
Left-handedness is characterized by someone who is more comfortable using their left hand for everyday tasks. Surprisingly, there’s more behind having your left hand as your dominant than meets the eye!
Here are some interesting facts you probably didn’t know about our fellow left-handers:
1. Approximately 12% of the world’s population is left-handed, led by the Netherlands.
2. Those who are left-handed are more prone to ailments like allergies and migraines.
3. Lefties are very good artists and mostly follow creative careers.
4. In most sports, people who are good at tennis, swimming, baseball, boxing, and fencing are found to be left-handed.
5. Left-handed people have a greater sense of hearing.
6. Many left-handed people have issues with smudging and getting ink on their hands when writing.
An interesting added-on fact is that there are actual pens that exist for lefties! Many people aren’t aware that they don’t have to settle for the smudged-writing and the ink-splotched hands if they’re using a utensil that is optimal for their dominant hand. Spector & Co. offers a variety of speciality pens, but the one recommended most for left-handed people is the Glacio pen. It comes in a variety of colors, it’s refillable and it is smudge-free with fast drying ink—completely hassle-free and perfect for anyone who’s come across this problem!
Pass on these facts to a left-handed friend and save them from their ink-covered nightmares with one of Spector & Co.’s speciality pens.
Browse through our other speciality pens for lefties by visiting